Selected excerpts from: Kitab ut-Tawheed by Ibn Hazm
Presented for the first time in English is a translated short-selection of issues from the book of monotheism (Kitāb ut-Tawḥeed) by Ibn Ḥazm.
The book of monotheism comprises book one of his magnum opus: Al-Muḥalla bil’Athār (The Adorned Treatise) and covers a total of ninety-one issues (Mas’āil).
It is our intention to add to the number presented here, once the translation has been completed. A summarised list of the issues presented is enclosed below for ease of reference, but is also included within the document as a separate contents page.
Although not part of the original text, we have included some accompanying footnotes, together with additional commentary, where required. The commentary is provided by Professor al-Mas’ari, as this book was covered in a series of lectures some years ago.
Most, if not all of the items covered are straightforward; some of greater length than others. Ibn Ḥazm in his inimitable style, provides detailed evidences from the book and Sunnah to substantiate the issues under consideration.
List of Mas’āil covered:
- M14: Al-Jannah is truth, created for the Mu’mineen
- M15: The fire is truth, a reality
- M16: Entry to the fire by the believers who are deficient in good deeds
- M30: The Ṣirāṭ (bridge over hellfire) is truth and is the route over hell
- M33: The intercession of the Prophet for the people of major sins
- M79: Whoever neglects all deeds
- M80: Certainty cannot be in ranks
- M81: Disobedience, major sins, indecency, disadvantages of minor sins
- M82: Not avoiding the major sins (kabā’ir)
- M83: Those whose misdeeds are heavier than the good deeds
- M84: The issue of people in paradise according to their rank before Allah
- M85: Ranks of People in Paradise
- M88: Repenting from Kufr, Zina; the acts of the people of Luṭ and alcohol
- M90: Prophecy is Revelation
- M91: The belief that Iblees is alive
Muhalla-Excerpts-from-Book-of-Tawheed.pdf (327 downloads)